With a peppery taste and a hearty crunch, the radish is a root from the Brassica family and is a cousin to cabbage. The radish has a long history dating back to 2,700 BC as a culinary delight along with its medicinal uses. As a recommended vegetable for the Ideal Protein diet, the radish goes beyond just a salad garnish. Read some of the health benefits of radishes below.
Here are seven amazing things and health benefits of radishes that you probably didn’t know.
- A dieter’s best friend. Low in calories but high in nutritional value, the radish is less than 20 calories for an entire cup and packed with fiber to get you moving.
- They’re so cool, literally. Radishes are considered a ‘cooling’ food and the strong flavor is said to have the ability to decrease excess heat in the body, especially during warmer months.
- The little red detox. In Eastern healing practices radishes are said to have effective toxin-purging effects, helping break down and eliminate toxins and cancer-causing free radicals in the body.
- The feel good food. Radishes are a natural cleansing agent for the digestive system, and help break down and eliminate stagnant food and toxins built up over time.
- Get the hydrated look. With a high water content and lots of vitamin C as well as phosphorus and zinc, radishes are a nourishing food for your body and keeps your skin looking fresh and healthy all summer long!
- The cancer blocker. As a member of the cruciferous vegetable family (same family as broccoli and cabbage) radishes contain phytonutrients, fiber, vitamins and minerals that protect against cancer.
- Finally, indigestion relief. Radishes have a calming effect on the digestive system and can help relieve bloating and indigestion.
The radish is much more than a pungent vegetable – it’s a natural food that works with your body to relieve, retain, and reinvigorate form the inside out. If you would like to learn more interesting tips and techniques about the Ideal Protein weight loss program, sign up for a free workshop with the professionals at Ideal Body Chiropractic and Nutrition.